With the start of a new year, it’s always a great time to throw things out and declutter. It sounds so great, right?! Except, I hate throwing things out because I don’t know exactly where to throw them out to. But it’s something that I really need to work on because we have so much stuff we do not need and/or no longer use, so I really should take advantage of the new year and declutter room by room. I’ve done a little bit so far, but I’ve hardly made a dent at this point.
Once you get finished decluttering and switching things out, spring rolls around, and then it’s time to add some new, fresh, fun things to the home. That’s basically what the new year is for, right? Declutter. Out with the old and in with the new. Am I right or what?
That’s probably not exactly how it should go, but hey, it still works just the same. 😉 This year, I have a few big things on my to do list for our home, and spring is the perfect time to start the hunt for the perfect items for refreshing a room. Here’s my wishlist of home decor items I’d love to add to our home this year:
- Rug for the breakfast room: I love the rug I have in there now; however, it has two very large black stripes on it and with our shedding dog, it’s just not practical. Every little piece of hair that flies off of her finds its way to that rug. I don’t mind a little dog hair here and there because that’s life, but it drives me insane, and I end up having to vacuum like 3x a week just because of that rug and her shedding. So as much as I love that rug in our breakfast room, I’ve got to find one with a bit less black in it. I still want an animal print one because I think that just completes the room. I’ve found this one that is just perfect, I think. It’s still animal print, and it’s the perfect size, but it doesn’t have the two black borders. Woohoo! I’m hoping to add this one to our house soon. I’ll probably move the current one into my office because it would look great in there too!
- Rug for the dining room: Our dining room is open to our living room, and it’s honestly not that big. It houses our table, a buffet table and that’s pretty much it. We’ve had our current gray/yellow gold rug in there since we moved in, but it’s starting to look a little tired (and hairy!), so I’m on the hunt for something new. I don’t really know what I want. Maybe something gray and neutral, but not too much white/cream in it. Maybe something like one of these (both are from Joss & Main):
- Office built-ins: My plan is to turn one wall in my office into some built-ins. I currently have some white bookshelves in there, but I’d like them to be floor to ceiling with some cabinets underneath them, so that I can house some of my uglier supplies, boxes, etc and close the doors. I’m thinking kitchen cabinets is probably the easiest way to go when it comes to creating some storage space with doors, so I’m looking for some that are inexpensive but won’t fall apart. If you know of any great cabinet companies, please let me know in the comments!! I’d like something like these in white.
- Purchase another office desk: As I said in another post, my mom purchased a desk for me for my birthday, and I absolutely love it. So much so that now I think I need another one, so that I can have the ultimate big desk for my office. My hope is that once this room gets a full makeover, I’ll want to work in there permanently rather than on the couch in my living room. I think having two desks is the way to go for me, so I’d really like to pick another one up soon!
- New Mirror for the half bathroom: I’ve been wanting to do a few home renovation projects this year. If we’re planning to stay about 4-5 more years, I think it would be a great time to upgrade a few things so that we can still enjoy them before we move. I’d like to paint all of the cabinets in the house, replace the countertops in the bathrooms and upgrade the mirrors in the bathrooms as well. I had been thinking about framing out our current mirrors, but I think I’d like to just replace them if I find some really nice ones at a great price. I recently stumbled upon this one for our powder room, and I really like it. It’s definitely on my wishlist this year.
Those are just a few of the smaller items I’d like to pick up sometime this year. Are you doing any spring cleaning? Planning to add any new fun items to your decor? Share in the comments!
Leave a Reply