2016 is coming to a close very, very soon, and I could not be more excited for a new year to begin, new goals to set and achieve and new exciting family adventures! This current year has not been my favorite, but it definitely has not been the worst either! There’s been lots of ups and downs and stress throughout the year, so I’m hopeful that 2017 will be a lot more exciting and adventurous and quite a bit less stressful.
One of the main things I try to do at the start of a new year is create a list of goals personally and professionally. I know some are totally against creating goals, but I do try to make mine difficult, but totally achievable. It pumps me up for what’s to come and inspires me to work toward the goals throughout the year.
I also try to pick a word to focus on throughout the year. My word for 2016 was positive. I wanted to try to live with a more positive attitude, and I don’t think I succeeded as much as I would like to think that I did, but hopefully I improved a bit. I do still have some grumpy moments though 😉 Just keepin’ it real!
For 2016, I did achieve some of my personal goals, but I still have a few I’d like to continue to work on, so that I can achieve them in 2017. It may have taken me longer than expected, but if I reach those goals, that’s all that matters.
Some of my personal goals for 2017 are:
- Reach my goal weight – I’ve been working on this one forever, and if I could just shed these last 15 pounds, I would be a happy camper for sure!
- SAVE MONEY – Money is the biggest stress and worry for me, especially since I run my own business. So saving money is always my goal year after year. I don’t think you can ever save too much.
- Give my office a makeover – I rarely work in my office these days because it’s messy, disorganized and not comfy to work in, so this coming year, I’d like to really work on it and get it to where I want to work in there every day for my business hours, and then leave the room when the day is complete.
- Travel – Not necessarily outside the US, but I love taking trips… who doesn’t? They give me a little bit of a refresh when I return, and I am seriously missing the snow and mountains!!
- Be a better friend – I’ve learned that making new friends is a bit more difficult as you get older and especially when you work from home and don’t get to interact and share with others on a daily basis. More visits, more real talks, being a better listener, being more open and honest, etc… I think we could probably all do a little better when it comes to friendships.
To be quite honest, I didn’t achieve many of my goals professionally this year. Business just wasn’t what it had been the previous years, and things have been a little more difficult making a certain number of sales every month, Etsy payment issues, etc. But! That only means that I have more drive and ambition for a fresh start at this new year. I’m putting 2016’s woes behind me and looking onward and upward to a successful 2017!
I have a few business goals that I’d like to achieve:
- Website – I’d like to have my business website up and running within January, so I can start making sales on my website as well as Etsy!
- Find a new printer – This has been on my list for a few years, and I think I’m ready to bite the bullet. There’s nothing wrong with my current printer, but I feel like the turnaround time for printing could be better. I’d love to have a commercial printer that I could print orders in a minute instead of in an hour or 2.
- Branding – I haven’t thought much about branding before, but I really feel like this is SO important to professional growth. I want my business to look like a business and not a hobby I do on the side. It is 100% my livelihood, and I’d like it to be reflected that way with my customers (recurring and potential), so branding is an absolute must.
- Social Media – Oh, social media! It’s so, so important, but so not something I really put much time into, which is bad for a business. So, I’m hoping to really tackle the social media aspect in 2017, even if it means hiring someone to help me with it.
I think that’s it! See what I mean? All of those goals are 100% achievable. Sure, they’ll take some work and a bit of dedication, and I know it all won’t be easy or happen overnight, but with the start of 2017 fast approaching, I can feel myself getting excited all over again for wanting new, great things in the new year.
Oh, and my word for 2017 – happy. I just want to be happy, find happiness in things everywhere and enjoy life. Whether it’s just taking my camera out more, doing some mini day trips, or being a little bit spontaneous, I just want to experience life, find joy in the little things and be happy because life is good. 🙂
Do you set goals at the beginning of each year? If so, what are some of your goals?